@import url(http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Sue+Ellen+Francisco); We'll look back someday, and I'll look at you and say "and I thought I loved you then": Aventures at the ER

His & Her = two

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Aventures at the ER

This little gown, was not Sydney's favorite. The only way I got her to leave it on was by putting on her shoes. She made sure that when every doctor/nurse came in saw her shoes. I think she knew it was not the cutest thing!

So Saturday morning, Sydney woke up crying. Which is super unusual for her. I just thought to myself "this is going to be a long day". I went and grabbed her, and set her down in her chair to eat. She usually will climb in, and buckle herself. Instead she cried, and waited until I set her in. I went and made her breakfast, but sitting on the table was chips. I knew it would be a fight to trade her toast for chips, but instead she not only gave me the bag of chips. Sydney actually gave me the chips she had pulled out of the bag. That is when I started to realize something was not quite right. She than wanted down, and had not even touched her breakfast. I took her out, and turned on a movie. She just cried, and if Sadie would come any where near her she would lose it! So I went, and gave her to Jeff. Sadie, and I were playing in the family room, but I could her Sydney crying with Jeff. After about an hour. I went to go see if I could help. Jeff said Sydney's stomach was spasming, and she was in a ton of pain. All over she was really hot. Jeff, and I decided I better take her in. On the ride down Sydney continued to scream. I felt so helpless. She finally stopped crying, and I reached back to hold her hand. I noticed that her eyes were rolled back, and her breathing was not consistent. I immediately called 911. They asked if I would like an ambulance, but we decided by the time they got to me I could already be at the ER. So the dispatcher called the ER, and let them know we were on our way. We walked in, and were seen right away. Sydney kept on crying. The nurse was taking all of her vitals, and commented on how warm Sydney was. When she took her temperature, we were both surprised she did not have a fever. The nurse was so nice, and told me she was going to have to do a rectal temp. I am so glad she took the time to really care. Sure enough Sydney did have a temperature. We then had to wait to be seen by the doctor. Sydney was really calm, but super out of it. She looked very pale, and I was so nervous. The doctor came in, and started going over her symptoms. He asked me to push on Sydney's belly. I did that, and she freaked out. The doctor said between the fever, her coloring, and the tenderness in her stomach he wanted to do some test. Again I was so grateful not to just be looked at like I was just paranoid. The doctor was very thorough, and made me feel as though I had every right to be concerned. During, this time I was able to keep Jeff updated. Unfortunately my phone died moments after talking to the doctor. Thankfully the hospital had a phone I could use. The doctor told me Sydney would need to get an IV, urine sample, and a cat scan. He made it seem super easy, so I thought I could do it without Jeff. The nurse's came in, and told me in order to get a urine sample they would need to do a partial catheters. In my head I was freaking out. I know how painful those are, having to have one in labor. They assured me it would be easy, and Sydney would be fine. The nurse told me to hold her arm, and just comfort her. Well that game plan changed real quick. Sydney FREAKED out! She was kicking and screaming. They called for another nurse to come help. So there were 5 of us holding down a 2 yr old. I was amazed at the fight she put up. Unfortunately she was way to tense to be able to put the catheters in. So they said well lets try the IV. By this point I am on the verge of freaking out. I called Jeff, and asked if he could take Sadie somewhere, and come help. I knew the IV would be just as bad, if not worse. The nurse said if she peed in this pan they would not have to do a catheters. Sydney now will tell me when she was to pee if she does not have a diaper on. So I asked the nurse if we could just leave her diaper off. The nurse agreed. We went ahead and started to prep for the IV. When it was time, we all tried to hold her down. Again, she was not having it. Just as the nurse had inserted the needle, Sydney started freaking out, and saying "diaper diaper". I knew there was no way we could catch her pee. I felt so bad. She was probably so confused as to why I let her pee all over herself. After the IV the nurse had to tape Sydney's hand, and arm to a board. She was trying so hard to shake the IV off. After this the nurse's decided to give Sydney a break. They said they would come back in a bit to do the rest. I held Sydney, and she just cuddled me. My heart was broken. Unfortunately I had to make Sydney drink a drink for the cat-scan. I had a bottle in my purse, and Sydney is done with bottle's. So I thought she would love drinking it from a bottle. I was wrong. She took one sip, and said caca. I had to make her drink 8 ounces of that stuff. So I unscrewed the top, and had to hold her head back, and force feed her. It was so sad. Thinking back, I am not sure why she still loves me. The entire time she was screaming "CACA CACA". The doctor came in, and asked me how I felt about a slight sedation. At this point I was so emotionally drained, I jumped at the idea. So while Sydney, and I waited for the sedatives. Sydney just held me, and slept. When the doctors came in, I layed Sydney on the bed. She barely woke up, but she look at me half asleep, shook her head, and said "no no caca caca". Poor little girl! It was so good to see her calm. Every once and a while she her eyes would start searching the room, and I could tell she was looking for me. She would see me, and totally relax. That made my day. She is such an angel. The doctor wheeled her away for the cat scan, and I just waited. I had time to pray, and think how blessed I have been for such healthy babies. I could not imagine having to do the hospital almost daily. Sydney came back in, and was some what awake. She smiled at me, and just looked so peaceful. Of course this is when Jeff showed up!! Haha, to his defense he had been running around all morning trying to figure somewhere for Sadie to go. When Sydney saw her dad, her eyes lit up. She was trying to tell him all about it. He is such a good dad. I loved that moment. The love he has for our girl's is so tender. We waited, and finally the doctor came. He said he had nothing but good news. He said everything looked great. Even her white blood cells were right on. He was still a little thrown off by her fever, and told us to keep an eye on that. He said he does not think it is her appendix, but he wants us to check up with that. I was so relieved! He did say she had a bowel movement that was needing to come out. So he said he would give her a suppository to help it along. Jeff, and I are so grateful for our sweet little Sydney. I learned how much our little girl is a fighter, and how tough she is. At the end she said thank you, and bye to everyone! We went to go get Sadie, and we got the best welcome. She was at the end of the hall, and saw us. She screamed "DADA MAMA", and with the help of grams she ran to us. I had to hold back tears. The joy these little girl's bring to my life is indescribable. They are my world. I thank Heavenly Father for them daily. It was quite the day, and I hope to not have to repeat it for quite some time!

1 comment:

  1. It's good to hear that you had good news out of all of that! I am so sad that happened! You are such a great mom! I love you and miss you!!!